For most people, family members are the first and often closest relationships that they have. You’ll spend a lot of time with these people in your life, and — unlike friends — you didn't get to choose them. While you love your family, a lot of what they do and say can leave you scratching your head. These funny family quotes will let you know that you're surely not the only one who feels that way! So let's face it: your relatives have their quirks, and it's nice to know you're not alone in this.
It’s good to be able to laugh at ourselves and our family! Here are some funny family quotes guaranteed to make you laugh, maybe out loud. The first few are original sayings, followed by some quotes from comedians, authors and others.
- There's nothing like a family vacation to make you appreciate a bit of separation.
- Family: Our sanity might be debatable, but our bond is unbreakable.
- Every family tree has some sap!
- At a family reunion, you'll meet every human to whom you're related. Will you be elated? That's still to be debated.
- From vanity to insanity, no one knows you better than your family.
- What passes for normality in my family just might defy the laws of gravity.
- Sometimes I think our family tree doesn't branch quite enough.
- In my family, crazy is relative. All of them.
- Family relations can be complicated, but still, they're ties that can't be separated.
- We're loud and proud; when we get together there's a crowd. When it comes to my extended family, there's nowhere else I'd rather be.
- "Families are like fudge ... mostly sweet with a few nuts." - Unknown
- "If you don't believe in ghosts, you've never been to a family reunion." - Ashleigh Brilliant
- "Family: A social unit where the father is concerned with parking space, the children with outer space, and the mother with closet space." - Evan Esar
- "In some families, 'please' is described as the magic word. In our house, however, it was 'sorry.'" - Margaret Laurence
- "A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold." - Ogden Nash
- "In the family sandwich, the older people and the younger ones can recognize one another as the bread. Those in the middle are, for a time, the meat." - Anna Quindlen
- "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." - George Burns
- "When our relatives are at home, we have to think of all their good points or it would be impossible to endure them." - George Bernard Shaw
- "The other night I ate at a real nice family restaurant. Every table had an argument going." - George Carlin
- "Obviously, if I was serious about having a relationship with someone long-term, the last people I would introduce him to would be my family." - Chelsea Handler
Little kids tend to do and say silly things while they're still learning what it takes to be a normal human — or at least working their way to adulthood. Sometimes they're cute, sometimes they're naughty, and sometimes they drive their parents crazy. These original and famous crazy family quotes and sayings focused on kids make light of the all-important parent-child relationship:
- Since the kid was born, I've been sleeping like a baby — not at all!
- What's it like to be a parent? Question after question paired with congestion and indigestion.
- What's the fastest way to feel the effects of old age? Become a parent!
- Insanity is contagious: Parents catch it from their kids!
- Ah, the wonders of parenting. I wonder where all my time goes. I wonder why I don't have any money.
- Why did I think it would be fun to have a smaller version of me in the house?
- Kids bring a lot of light into your life. Just check the power bill if you don't believe me.
- From crawler to toddler to elementary school scholar, then onward to tween quickly followed by teen, the years will go by faster than anything you've seen.
- Having a third child means you have to adjust from man coverage to zone defense.
- My greatest fear is that my teenage child will do what I did during my own teenage years.
- Of your home, you'll no longer be the queen when your sweet little child first becomes a tween.
- Who is punished more when a teenager is grounded — the teenager or the rest of the family?
- "There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it." - Anonymous
- "Always be nice to your children because they are the ones who will choose your rest home." - Phyllis Diller
- "In general, my children refuse to eat anything that hasn't danced on television." - Erma Bombeck
- "Having a two-year-old is like having a blender that you don't have the top for." - Jerry Seinfeld
- "The real menace in dealing with a five-year-old is that in no time at all you begin to sound like a five-year-old." - Jean Kerr
- "Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million-dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla." - Jim Bishop
- "Having children is like living in a frat house — nobody sleeps, everything's broken, and there's a lot of throwing up." - Ray Romano
- "There are only two things a child will share willingly — communicable diseases and his mother's age." - Benjamin Spock
You don't have to be a parent to realize that your family is wacky. There's humor to be found in your relationships with your own parents, siblings and even your extended family. Take a look at some funny quotes about family, including some original cute sayings and ways some very funny people view their family members.
- Siblings are your first frenemies.
- Siblings are like permanent play dates that you can't send home.
- I'm sane compared to my sister.
- Ode to my brother, we share the same mother. The things you say sometimes make me shudder, but I still love you more than any other.
- An aunt is like an older sister who knows the scoop on your mom and likes to dish.
- Uncles are your first bad influence.
- Your uncle might have "got your nose" when you were small, but will always have your back when you're tall.
- Cousins are friends who already know how crazy your family is.
- Pets are like family, except you actually get to choose them.
- You must really love my dad to put up with a stepchild like me!
- "Never let an angry sister comb your hair." - Unknown
- "A baby usually wakes up in the wee-wee hours of the morning." - Unknown
- "The highlight of my childhood was making my brother laugh so hard that food came out his nose." - Garrison Keillor
- "I grew up with six brothers. That's how I learned to dance—waiting for the bathroom." - Bob Hope
- "Posterity is the patriotic name for grandchildren." - Art Linkletter
- "Siblings: Children of the same parents, each of whom is perfectly normal until they get together." - Sam Levenson
- "Fatherhood is great because you can ruin someone from scratch." - John Stewart
- "No matter how old a mother is, she watches her middle-aged children for signs of improvement." - Florida Scott-Maxwell
- "The advantage of growing up with siblings is that you become very good at fractions." - Robert Brault
- "Your basic extended family today includes your ex-husband or -wife, your ex's new mate, your new mate, possibly your new mate's ex and any new mate that your new mate's ex has acquired." - Delia Ephron
Family can often be a source of tension, but it always helps to laugh about it. Knowing that other people feel the same mixture of exasperation and love for their relatives should make you feel better. Be sure to share these funny quotes with your own family — after all, laughter is the best medicine! Looking for more funny family quotes, or some that are more loving? Review a collection of powerful words about family to create your own quotes.
- “Family is not an important thing. It's everything.” – Michael J. Fox.
- “The memories we make with our family is everything.” – Candace Cameron Bure.
- “Family is family.” – Linda Linney.
- “The family is one of nature's masterpieces.” – George Santayana.
- “In time of test, family is best.” – Burmese Proverb.
"Family and friends are hidden treasures, seek them out and enjoy their riches." "The memories we make with our family is everything." "Everyone needs a house to live in, but a supportive family is what builds a home." "Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful.What makes a good family relationship quotes? ›
Quotes About the Strength of a Cohesive Family
A strong family is the glue binding each individual to the world. The strongest people are those backed by a loving family. Family togetherness is the driving force behind a loving heart. When you fall in life, your family catches you and stands you back up.
- Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about. - ...
- Life is a long lesson in humility. - ...
- In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. - ...
- Love the life you live. ...
- Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. -
Family: A family is a group of two or more persons related by birth, marriage, or adoption who live together; all such related persons are considered as members of one family.Why family is the best inspiration? ›
Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. My greatest pleasure is spending time with my family. A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it.What is true family love? ›
It includes respect for each other, and acceptance of everyone in the family, regardless of their views. Genuine love, care, loyalty, deep affection, and healthy attachment are family characteristics. This implies that the family isn't necessarily a group of people connected by blood, but one that functions as a unit.What are 3 qualities of a strong family? ›
- Commitment: They make their relationships a high priority. ...
- Appreciation: They let other family know, daily, they were appreciated. ...
- Communication: They talk to each other about big issues as well as small issues.
In California, for purposes of subdivision of Labor Code Section 2066, "immediate family member" means spouse, domestic partner, cohabitant, child, stepchild, grandchild, parent, stepparent, mother-in-law, father-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandparent, great grandparent, brother, sister, half-brother, half- ...What is a slogan for family? ›
“To understand your parents' love, you must raise children yourself.” “Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale.” “Our family is a circle of strength of love with every birth and every union the circle grows.” “A house is built by hands, but a home is built by heart.”
Families for Life collaborates with McDonald's to support parents in promoting their children's mental well-being and making Triple P more accessible in the communities.What are some 3 word quotes? ›
- “I'll be there.”
- “I love you.”
- “Maybe you're right.”
- “I trust you.”
- “Go for it.”
- “Got your back.”
- “How are you?”
- “I want you.”
- “Finger-Lickin' Good”
- “I'm Lovin' It”
- “Imagination at Work”
- “They're GRRR-EAT”
- “Think Different”
- “Just Do It”
- “Diamonds Are Forever”
- I'm having fun. ...
- Winning is only half of it. ...
- Never, ever underestimate the importance of having fun. ...
- Even though you're growing up, you should never stop having fun. ...
- Fun is one of the most important - and underrated - ingredients in any successful venture. ...
- Just keep taking chances and having fun.
- Be kind; you never know the battles others are fighting.
- Be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Live each day as if it were your last.
- The grass is green where you water it.
- Breathe in courage, breathe out fear.
- This too shall pass.
- I am what I think about.
- Tomorrow is another day.
"A secret to life: Know that none of this matters, and yet... live as if every single moment does." "Happiness is not by chance, but by choice." "Things are beautiful if you love them." "What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make."What words describe family? ›
A group of people related by blood or marriage. relatives. relations. blood relations. family members.What is a famous short quote? ›
“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.” “There is no sin except stupidity.” “There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”
- Thanks for your help. Saying thank you for anything makes people feel appreciated, needed and loved. ...
- I couldn't have done it without you. ...
- I'm so proud of you. ...
- You're so awesome. ...
- I appreciate your support.
- 1) Success is No Accident. ...
- 2) Success is Not Final, Failure is Not Fatal: it is the Courage to Continue that Counts. ...
- 3) Don't Count the Days, Make the Days Count. ...
- 4) He Who is Not Courageous Enough to Take Risks Will Accomplish Nothing in Life. ...
- 5) Don't Wait for Opportunity, Create it.
Family is at the center of God's plan for the happiness and progress of His children. The Holy Bible teaches that God established families from the very beginning, and it shows us many examples of strong families. It also teaches us how to have a loving, happy family.Why is a family special to everyone? ›
Family is important because they can offer support and security coupled with unconditional love; they will always look to see and bring out the best in you even if you cannot see it for yourself.What makes a family special? ›
Respect Makes a Family
Respect makes a family happy, whole, and thriving. We may not always agree with the choices our family members make on a day-to-day basis or in life, however, family respects and cherishes those differences. Our differences are what make us special.
When parents accept, love, and show affection to their children, even when they make mistakes or fall short of expectations, this is love unconditional. In other words, it is a form of love with no strings attached. Therefore, parents love their children for who they are, no matter what.What makes a real family? ›
A real family isn't defined by blood. It's defined by a mutual respect and genuine love for each other.What is a word for family love? ›
Storge (/ˈstɔːrɡi/ STOR-ghay; from Ancient Greek στοργή (storgḗ) 'love, affection'), or familial love, refers to natural or instinctual affection, such as the love of a parent towards offspring and vice versa.What keeps a family together? ›
Strong families have warmth and care, good communication, predictability, and strong connections to others outside the family. Looking after yourself is an important part of raising a strong family.What are 5 traits of a healthy family? ›
There are several common features of healthy, happy families that include cohesiveness, open communication, parents leading by example, conflict management, and setting clear expectations and limits.
Family strengths are those relationship qualities that contribute to the emotional health and well-being of the family. Families who define themselves as strong commonly say they love each other, find life together satisfying, and live in happiness and harmony with each other.What is the deepest meaning of family? ›
“Family means having someone to love you unconditionally in spite of you and your shortcomings. Family is loving and supporting one another even when it's not easy to do so. It's being the best person you could be so that you may inspire your love ones.What are the 7 family types? ›
We have stepfamilies; single-parent families; families headed by two unmarried partners, either of the opposite sex or the same sex; households that include one or more family members from a generation; adoptive families; foster families; and families where children are raised by their grandparents or other relatives.What are the 7 stages of family? ›
- Coupling or marriage.
- Parenting: babies through adolescents.
- Launching adult children.
- Retirement or senior years.
In the context of branding, a tagline is a memorable motto or phrase that's designed to serve as a permanent expression of your company's greater purpose and mission.How do I choose my family motto? ›
- Think of what you want your kids to hear inside their heads for the rest of their life. ...
- Write down your family's 5 most important values. ...
- Look at your list. ...
- Take a stab at drafting a sentence that addresses at least one of these values. ...
- Write a whole bunch of these sentences.
Life is short, and every moment is precious. Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are travelling the dark journey with us. Oh be swift to love, make haste to be kind.What is happy life quote? ›
"The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy—it's all that matters." "Happiness is the secret to all beauty. There is no beauty without happiness." "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."What is family in value? ›
Family values involve all the ideas of how a family exists and functions, and they are often passed down from previous generations. They include social, moral, religious, economic, and political principles that a family holds as important and believe in.What topics are connected to family? ›
- Basic sex education for children or adolescents.
- Sexually transmitted disease prevention.
- Sexual identity/orientation education.
- Pregnancy prevention education.
- “ May the Force be with you.” - Star Wars, 1977.
- “ There's no place like home.” - The Wizard of Oz, 1939.
- “ I'm the king of the world!” - ...
- “ Carpe diem. ...
- “ Elementary, my dear Watson.” - ...
- “ It's alive! ...
- “ My mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. ...
- “ I'll be back.” -
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall” – Confucius.
- “Magic is believing in yourself. ...
- “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them” – Walt Disney.
- “The real test is not whether you avoid this failure…
"Family isn't always blood, it's the people in your life who want you in theirs: the ones who accept you for who you are, the ones who would do anything to see you smile and who love you no matter what.” Maya Angelou.What is a good deep quote? ›
“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” “If I were a tree, I would have no reason to love a human.” “Once someone's hurt you, it's harder to relax around them, harder to think of them as safe to love.What is family short words? ›
family, a group of persons united by the ties of marriage, blood, or adoption, constituting a single household and interacting with each other in their respective social positions, usually those of spouses, parents, children, and siblings.What did Mark Twain say about family? ›
Mark Twain Quotes About Family and Kids
Always obey your parents when they are present. Familiarity breeds contempt—and children. You ought never to “sass” old people—unless they “sass” you first. You should never do anything wicked and lay it on your brother, when it is just as convenient to lay it on some other boy.
“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” “The group consisting of mother, father and child is the main educational agency of mankind.”Who said family is the most important thing in the world? ›
Princess Diana Quotes
Family is the most important thing in the world.